The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. National Service Scheme (NSS) was introduced in 1969 with the primary objective of developing the personality and character of the student youth through voluntary community service. ‘Education through Service’ is the purpose of the NSS.
Prof. Sandip Sanchala
NSS Program Officer
The ideological orientation of the NSS is inspired by the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi. Very appropriately, An NSS volunteer places the ‘community’ before ‘self. Gujarat Arts & Commerce College (Evening), Ahmedabad, had also taken an initiative to promote National Service Scheme (NSS) with the support of 1 Unit, NSS Cell-Gujarat University, Ahmedabad. NSS unit has works true to the motto of the NSS. The Institution NSS unit teaches to be disciplined and organized with the goals set for self and working for community welfare activities. The maximum authorised vacancy is 100 volunteers. The opportunity is equally available for Boys and Girls students of UG regular programs only.
Our Motto: “Not Me But You”
To build the youth with the mind and spirit to serve the society and work for the social uplift of the down-trodden masses of our nation as a movement.
Education through community Service and Community Service through Education.
- Understand the community in which they work
- Understand themselves in relation to their community
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- Practice national integration and social harmony
- An accomplished social leader
- An efficient administrator
- A person who understands human nature